How to Create a Website Step 9 Planning your Website
After careful review of your business plan and notes to create a website, you will need to determine your software and platform requirements. To find out what functionality you will need for your website, you need to ask yourself some questions and note those elements you answered yes to.
- Will you need to update content of the website?
- Will you need to update the design of the website?
- Will you need a shopping cart?
- Will you need to display photos?
- Will you need to offer video streaming?
- Will you be offering MP3 downloads?
- Will you be offering other file downloads?
- Would you like to interact with your visitors in a forum?
- Would you like to run a blog.
- Will you require a wiki?
- Would you like to offer social networking services or connection to other social networks?
- Will you be requiring WordPress hosting or Joomla hosting?
- Will you require website and traffic analytics.
- Will you need project management solutions?
- Will you require a customer support system?
- Will you need a web calendar?
- Will you require a unique custom software invention developed?
Now you will need to explore the relationship these applications will share in your website. You need to ask yourself what is the primary purpose of the website and what applications will serve this purpose best. Once you have determined that, set that application to be the first installed program and install it in the root.
Due to the flexibility in its function and ease of its web design, WordPress it is often the most logical choice to be installed in the root. You will need to map out how the applications are going to interact with your visitors and other installed applications. These other additional applications are normally installed in sub folders such as /blog/ for blog or /shoppingcart/ for shopping cart. Advanced users often use mod rewrite rules to rewrite the sub folders as files such as /blog.html and /shoppingcart.html.
If you liked this article, please like and share this article on now, because we want to thank you in advance for helping others to imagine and take control of their own success and create a website as you have. Thank you again and we look forward to presenting you the next in this tutorial series How to Create a Website Step 10 Build your Website page by page.
If you are just joining this 30 step website tutorial series on how to create a website, you might like to start from the beginning How to Create a Website Step in 30 Steps.
We ask our customers if you feel you are having trouble with planning your website, to please contact us to schedule an appointment for a conference call to discuss planning your website. Please call us at 1.480.664.3700 or send us an email at Support@Domain-Cheap.com with subject line (Planning Your Website) with a brief description of your ideas and direction to create a website.
Cheap domains and cheap hosting are just the beginning, now you’ll learn how to create a website.®